Coronavirus Precautions at Story Medical: Updated March 20, 2020
Latest Information from Story Medical
In response to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), Story Medical is taking a number of proactive measures to protect our patients and our community. Among these measures is limiting access to areas where large numbers of people congregate.
As of March 20, 2020, Story Medical has taken these measures:
- If you are coming for an appointment, we ask that you only go to that area of the medical center.
- The Main Entrance to the Medical Center is open 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. for patients with appointments only.
- We have a nurse at the main entrance screening people as they enter.
- The Outpatient Clinic will be limiting clinic visits and elective surgeries. Urgent cases are being reviewed on a case by case basis.
- The Maxwell Clinic is closed until further notice.
- The cafeteria is closed to the public.
- No visitors are allowed on our inpatient unit.
- No visitors are allowed in our Senior Care facility.
- Our Medically Oriented Gym is closed until April 10.
- The Gift Shops on our North and South Campuses are closed until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding and for helping to keep our community healthy.
Coronavirus Precautions for Our Community Members
Those who are concerned they have been exposed to COVID-19 or are experiencing symptoms, should immediately contact their primary care provider either by phone or through the MyUnityPoint app/website.
The resources below provide up-to-date information on the COVID-19 pandemic:
Iowa Department of Public Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Protecting Yourself and Your Family
There are a number of steps you can take to limit exposure to COVID-19 for yourself and those closest to you. In addition, these measures can protect you from other seasonal respiratory viruses like influenza and the common cold.
Experts recommend you:
- Wash your hand frequently.
- Avoid touching the “T Zone” of your face which includes your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover your cough.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Avoid close contact with others who are sick.
- Regularly disinfect surfaces that are touched frequently like kitchen and bathroom counters, desks and interior areas of your car.