Quality Assurance & Infection Prevention Nurse
Functional Area: Senior Care
Department: Senior Care
City/State: Nevada, IA
Employment Type: Full Time
With oversight from the Director of Nursing (DON) the Quality Assurance (QA) / Infection Prevention Nurse assists the day-to-day nursing activities and assumes the accountability for quality services and nursing care. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as an in-house expert regarding standards of practice, Federal and State regulations and laws, and professional code of ethics governing nursing services.
- Assists with auditing and maintaining clinical policies and procedures as necessary to respond to changes in regulations and /or to update additional programs and initiatives.
- Assists the DON and Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON) with in-services and training for Senior Care staff related to quality measures: hand hygiene, cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization; use of isolation/barrier precautions when indicated; use of patient care products and medical equipment; resident immunization programs; infection control; wound care; and standards of practice. Provides instruction to staff concerning quality of care and quality of life issues, customer service, and positive image.
- Coordinates the facility quality assessment and assurance committee. Periodically audits, reviews and provides input on policies and procedures in conjunction with committee members.
- Conducts meaningful QA meetings. Reviews unresolved issues/concerns and any other areas that remain out of compliance from prior meetings to develop a timeframe for correction.
- Maintains tracking systems for data collection and recommendations related to quality assurance.
- Actively participates in Quality Assurance Process Improvement (QAPI) program, taking a proactive approach to quality care and services on a continuous basis with engagement of residents, family members, and staff.
- Oversees the Infection Prevention and Control Program (IPCP).
- Conduct outbreak investigations.
- Maintain a system for reporting possible incidents of communicable diseases to local, state, or national agencies as required.
- Oversee the antibiotic stewardship program and monitor residents' antibiotic use.
- Maintains records of all residents with infections. Collects data and prepares monthly and quarterly reports.
- Perform duties as a staff nurse whenever and wherever required, including but not limited to completing health assessments, developing and evaluation of care plans, implementing residents' medication, treatment and other charting requirements.
- Demonstrates the knowledge that resident safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
- Graduate from an accredited and approved nursing program
- Current RN license in state of Iowa
- Certificate in Infection Control within 90 days of hire
- BCLS certified within 60 days of hire
- Mandatory Reporter completed within 90 days of hire
Benefits: In addition to Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Accounts (HSA), Group Accident & Critical Illness insurance, and disability coverage, Story Medical also offers the following benefits to it's employees:
- Up to $2,000 in Professional Development Assistance
- Free access to Story Medical's onsite wellness center
- Generous PTO Accrual Plan
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Onsite Cafeteria
- Family-Like Environment!
Story County Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment, post-offer physical and drug screen required.