Emergency Department (ED) Lead
Functional Area: Emergency Department
Department: Emergency Department
City/State: Nevada, IA
Employment Type: Regular, Full Time
This role provides supervision and administrative assistant for Emergency Department (ED) personnel. In addition, this role provides professional emergency care for critically ill and injured patients of all age groups. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with leadership and direction to the areas of responsibility in order to achieve compliance with organizational and unit policies and standards.
- Assist with direction of clinical practice within areas of responsibility abiding by the parameters of evidence-based practice and the hospital’s policies, procedures and protocols.
- Assist in annual review of the ED policies and procedures.
- Assist in hiring process with guidance and oversight from the Director of Emergency Services. Assist with coordination of the orientation process of ED staff.
- Provide input to annual performance appraisals for the ED staff with guidance and oversight from the Director of Emergency Services.
- Oversee staff schedule for ED including providing coverage in rotation and when needed to cover open shifts.
- Quickly, efficiently and calmly respond to emergency and critical situation.
- Assist with professional development of staff by working with Director to facilitate continuing education, in-services and other development opportunities.
- Review Emergency Department charts for high risk patients; copy and audit those charts for quality care.
- Participate in Department of Inspection and Appeals (DIA) and /or Det Norske Veritas (DNV) certification and inspection process.
- Assist in disaster planning requirements, including participation in the Emergency Operations Committee.
- Responsible for the Emergency Department’s Quality Assurance reporting.
- Participate in leadership huddles, staff meetings, and other meetings and events as they relate to the Emergency Services Department.
- Provide support for ED staff by relaying information, or providing orders as needed. Will be considered a Physician Designee, in the absence of a physician, based on ACLS verification requirement for the position.
- Communicate with other members of the health care team to ensure continuity of care and coordination of services.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all patient, personnel information, and all other hospital information.
- Demonstrate good public relations, both internally and outside of the facility.
- Registered Nurse degree from an accredited school of nursing.
- Current Iowa Nursing License.
- At least two (2) years nursing knowledge and skills required of an Emergency Department, two (2) years nursing knowledge in a medical/surgical unit preferred
- BLCS, ACLS and PALS certifications required.
- TNCC certification within first year of employment.
- Mandatory Reporter certification required.
- Proficient ability to use computer.
- Able to maintain good interpersonal relationships.
Benefits: In addition to Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Accounts (HSA), Group Accident & Critical Illness insurance, and disability coverage, Story Medical also offers the following benefits to it's employees:
- Up to $2,000 in Professional Development Assistance
- Free access to Story Medical's onsite wellness center
- Generous PTO Accrual Plan
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Onsite Cafeteria
- Family-Like Environment!
Story County Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment, post-offer physical and drug screen required.