Director of Emergency Services & Inpatient Care
Functional Area: Emergency & Inpatient
Department: Emergency & Inpatient
City/State: Nevada, IA
Employment Type: Regular, Full Time
This position assumes responsibility, authority, and accountability for all departmental and program responsibilities, staff functions, and staff education for the Emergency Department, Mobile Intensive Care Unit (MICU), and Inpatient Department. Responsible for the professional nursing care given to all Emergency Room patients, patients admitted to the Inpatient Care, and for the pre-hospital care provided for all MICU patients. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the Inpatient Unit, Emergency Department, and MICU in order to achieve compliance with organizational and unit policies and standards.
- Direct nursing practice within areas of responsibility, abiding by the parameters of the Nurse Practice Act and the hospital's policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the Inpatient Unit, Emergency Department, and MICU participation and performance in Department of Inspection and Appeals and/or DNV certification and inspection processes.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and adjust the annual operating budgets and three-year capital expenditures for the Inpatient Unit, Emergency Department, and MICU with guidance and oversight of the Chief Nursing Officer and Chief Financial Officer.
- Oversee the staffing schedule for the Inpatient Unit, Emergency Department, and MICU; advise on staffing changes (i.e., illness, bereavement, vacations, etc.).
- Responsible for the hiring, mentoring, coaching, termination, and disciplinary actions of the Inpatient Unit, ED, and MICU. Work in collaboration with the Human Resources department to develop strategic recruitment and employment programs to attract the best qualified candidates to the organization. Oversee the performance management and improvement programs / initiatives.
- Develop and oversee the continuing education and training programs, including the departmental orientation programs for new hires.
- Oversee the preparation and management of departmental position meetings (i.e., monthly nurse meetings, quarterly MICU meetings, etc.).
- Assist in disaster planning requirements, including participation in the Emergency Operations Planning Committee.
- Oversee the Inpatient Unit, ED, MICU and Respiratory Therapy Quality Assurance Reporting.
- Direct supervision of the Emergency Services Supervisor, Inpatient Unit Supervisor, Patient Care Coordinator, and Respiratory Therapist. Oversee time card maintenance of the Inpatient Unit, ED, and MICU as entered by the Emergency Services Supervisor and Inpatient Unit Supervisor.
- Required to share call.
- Monitor the Inpatient Unit, Emergency Department, and MICU's cultures so they support S.T.O.R.Y. Values and promotes employee satisfaction.
- Maintain effective communication with all Story Medical departments.
- Graduate from an accredited and approved nursing program
- Current Iowa nursing license
- BSN required or begin coursework within 12 months of hire
- Previous supervisory experience in a hospital setting or demonstrated leadership and management ability
- Broad knowledge and experience of Nursing Practice Act, standards of care, and emergency medicine
- Current BLS, ACLS, TNCC, and PALS certifications required
- Mandatory Reporter training required
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
- Adaptability to accepting responsibility for the direction, control, or planning of an activity
- Ability to maintain a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers, physicians, patients, and visitors
- Adaptability to influence people in their opinions, attitudes, or judgement about ideas or things,
- Evidence of the practice of high level of confidentiality
- Skilled in oral and written communications
Story County Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment, post-offer physical and drug screen required.