Director of Acute and Skilled Care
Functional Area: Acute and Skilled Care
Department: Acute and Skilled Care
City/State: Nevada, IA
Employment Type: Regular, Full Time
This position assumes responsibility, authority, and accountability for all Acute and Skilled departmental and program responsibilities, staff functions, and staff education. This position is also responsible for the professional nursing care given to the Acute Care/Swing Bed (Skilled) patients. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall leadership and direction to the areas of responsibility, maintaining necessary records.
- Work independently with limited direction from the Vice President of Patient Care.
- Create strategic vision for acute and skilled units, create action plan and enlist staff to implement plan.
- Direct nursing practice within areas of responsibility, abiding by the parameters of the Nurse Practice Act and the hospital's policies and procedures.
- Provide mentoring, coaching, counseling and disciplinary action, as needed.
- Drive professional development of staff in areas of responsibility by coordinating continuing education, in-services and other development opportunities.
- Investigate and study current and new trends and developments in care for the medical-surgical and skilled care patient, work with providers to approve changes as needed and train staff to implement.
- Maintain departmental policies and procedures, and compliance with regulatory agency requirements.
- Advise the Vice President of Patient Care on potential or actual problems in a timely manner; recommend solutions as appropriate.
- Develop, implement, monitor and adjust the annual operating budgets and 3-year capital expenditures for area of responsibility in conjunction with the Vice President of Patient Care and the Vice President of Finance.
- Participate in quality improvement and patient experience programs to improve the quality of the services provided.
- Use census and acuity data to determine staffing needs and assist Nursing Supervisor with Acute and Skilled unit schedules and coordinate staff with other departments as needed.
- Serve as back-up to assist Nursing Supervisor with maintenance of timecards for Acute and Skilled.
- Initiate emergency procedures according to hospital policy.
- Complete performance appraisals with the assistance of Nursing Supervisor for staff.
- Review/ update job descriptions annually.
- Perform duties related to staffing, such as recruitment, hiring, onboarding, corrective action, and termination.
- Hold regularly scheduled departmental meetings with staff.
- Maintain effective communication with nursing staff, medical staff, and all other hospital departments.
- Function as a role model, demonstrating competency in clinical judgement.
- Demonstrate good public relations; both internally and externally.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all patient, resident, personnel information and all other hospital matters.
- Registered Nurse degree from an accredited school of nursing required.
- Current Iowa Nursing License required.
- Bachelor's in Nursing or related field required, or begin coursework within six months of hire.
- Previous supervisory experience in a hospital setting or demonstrated leadership and management ability, two (2) or more years of leadership experience preferred.
- BCLS, ACLS, PALS certifications required.
- Knowledge of the nursing practice act and standards of care.
- Able to maintain good interpersonal relationships and public relations.
- Proficient ability to use a computer.
Benefits: In addition to Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Accounts (HSA), Group Accident & Critical Illness insurance, and disability coverage, Story Medical also offers the following benefits to it's employees:
- Up to $2,000 in Professional Development Assistance
- Free access to Story Medical's onsite wellness center
- Generous PTO Accrual Plan
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Onsite Cafeteria
- Family-Like Environment!
Story County Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment, post-offer physical and drug screen required.