Acute & Skilled Care Supervisor
Functional Area: Acute & Skilled Care
Department: Acute & Skilled Care
City/State: Nevada, IA
Employment Type: Regular, Full Time
The Acute & Skilled Care Supervisor assists with accountability for the Acute & Skilled unit's departmental and program responsibilities, staff functions, and staff education. Additionally, the Supervisor assists with professional nursing care given to all patients admitted to the Acute Care/ Inpatient (Swing) Bed unit, incorporating the nursing process. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with overall leadership and direction to the areas of responsibility, maintaining necessary records.
- Assist with direction of nursing practice within areas of responsibility, abiding by the parameters of the Nurse Practice Act and the hospital's policies and procedures.
- Assist Director with mentoring, coaching, and counseling as needed.
- Assist with professional development of staff by providing continuing education, in-services, and other development opportunities.
- Assist with the maintenance of departmental policies and procedures, and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Advise the Director of Acute & Skilled Care on potential or actual problems in a timely manner; recommend solutions as appropriate.
- Assist staff with patient care on the floor as needed.
- Participate in quality improvement and patient experience programs to improve the quality of the services provided.
- Assist Director with development of Acute and Skilled unit schedules and coordinate staff with other departments as needed.
- Maintenance of timecards of staff prior to Director approval.
- Function as a role model, demonstrating competency in clinical judgement.
- Assist with completion of performance appraisals for staff.
- Assist with reviewing/updating job descriptions annually.
- Investigate and study current and new trends and developments in care for the medical-surgical and skilled care patient, work with providers to approve changes as needed and train staff to implement.
- Assist with regularly scheduled departmental meetings with staff.
- Maintain effective communication with department staff, medical staff, and all other hospital departments.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all patient, resident, personnel information, and all other hospital information.
- Graduate from an accredited and approved nursing program
- Current Iowa nursing license
- Broad knowledge and experience in of Nursing Practice Act and Standards of Care
- Current BLS, ACLS, and PALS certifications required
- Previous supervisory experience in a hospital setting or demonstrated leadership ability
- Able to maintain good interpersonal relationships and public relations
- Proficient ability to use computer
Benefits: In addition to Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Health Savings Accounts (HSA), Group Accident & Critical Illness insurance, and disability coverage, Story Medical also offers the following benefits to it's employees:
- Up to $2,000 in Professional Development Assistance
- Free access to Story Medical's onsite wellness center
- Generous PTO Accrual Plan
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Onsite Cafeteria
- Family-Like Environment!
Story County Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment, post-offer physical and drug screen required.