Social Services

The Social Services Department at Story County Medical Center is actively involved in both the Medical Center and Senior Care. Our social worker is here to assist prospective patients, residents and their families in addressing social, financial, emotional, placement and other related concerns. The social worker is part of the Medical Center trauma team and a part of crisis intervention in the Emergency Department.

The Social Services Department is involved in community, family and patient education and functions as an active information and referral source for Story County. Telephone and email inquiries are welcomed in addition to personal visits.

The Social Services Office is open Monday through Friday 8:30am through 5:00pm and by appointment on weekends.

Advanced Directives

Adult patients, over 18 years of age, who will be admitted for an overnight stay at Story County Medical Center can anticipate being asked if they have an Advance Directive that they wish to let their health care providers know about. If you have an Advance Directive (Living Will and Medical Power of Attorney) you should bring a copy of it with you when you come to the hospital for any overnight stay you may have.

Advance Directive is a general term that refers to your verbal and written instructions about your medical care and decisions in the future, should you be unable to speak for yourself. Each state has its own law governing the use of advance directives. There are two types of Advance Directives: Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.

Living Will:

A Living Will puts your wishes about medical care at the end of life, into a written statement. Each state dictates when a living will goes into effect and can limit the treatments to which the living will applies. A person's right to accept or reject treatment is protected by both federal and state laws.

Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care:

A Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care is a document that allows you to appoint someone you trust to make medical decisions for you. In many states, the person you appoint through a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care is authorized to speak for you anytime you are unable to make you own medical decisions, not only at the end of life.

Though this is a difficult topic to discuss, it is often helpful for you to discuss and make plans long before the decisions need to be made. Making these arrangements and decisions before you are very ill can insure that your wishes are clear and followed. It also helps family members when they know your wishes in advance.

Advance Directives give you a voice in decisions about your medical care when you are unconscious or too ill to talk. As long as you are able to communicate your own decisions, your Advance Directives will not be used and you can accept or reject any medical treatment.

These forms are available online from the Iowa State Bar Association.

NOTE: These are legal forms and it is suggested that you consult with your legal representative to complete.

For more information or to request living will and health care power of attorney forms, contact Susan Koehler, Social Services Director, at or call (515) 382-7734.